Friday, January 8, 2010

Last night I had a dream within a dream

There was a party at what seemed to be the Ace merged with my apartment. Everyone was there including my old landlord and redneck neighbors. At one point everyone had to clear the pool area as giant spiders in Scottish attire playing bagpipes came out from under the stairs. Some of us retired to my room and slept on one of the 8 beds that magically fit in there. That's where I fell asleep in the dream and dreamed that I called Jessica and left her a panicked message about mannequins trying to take all the appliances out of the garage. She tried to call back but I couldn't remember how to answer my phone because I has somehow set it to camouflage mode and it kept turning invisible when I tried to open it. After several futile attempts to answer it the sound of a car door slamming woke me up and I found myself alone in my room, all the extra people and beds were now gone. I got up and found Jessalea asleep on the couch just outside. I woke her up and tried to find everyone else but the pool area just outside my door was now like MC Escher's Relativity and though I could see where people were I couldn't quite figure out how to get to them. A phone started ringing in the distance and I couldn't remember if it was my phone and that I had indeed called Jessica or if I dreamed it. As I zeroed in on the sound I walked through a sliding glass door set vertically in the wall and ended up at work facing a wall of dark green and burgundy colored plush (mostly unicorns, trolls and trees) and I knew I was supposed to organize it in some way other than how it was. This turned out to be very difficult because for every one I moved two would fall off and a shelf would break or move itself to another wall. The only noise was a soft jazz that was being played way to loudly and alternating overhead pages, Mikael paging me to the desert palace and Nick asking me to please return his headache. In the middle of all of this Jessica Heather and Sky showed up with wooden steaks and machetes because they wanted to help defend my garage from the imminent attack of mannequins. I told them not to be so silly that was just a dream I had and I had no idea how they even found out. They insisted that I come with them and see that the mannequin threat was real and if I wanted to use any appliance ever again I must arm myself and come with them. When I turned around to try and explain that it was all a misunderstanding I realized that I was now standing alone out by the moonlit pool.
I think it was the sudden calm and silence that woke me up from all this. And yes, the first thing I did when I woke up was check my phone.

No comments: